Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Skips Tingly Prawn Cocktail

I've heard things about Skips, but now I have them!  My friend Maggie picked these up for me a store that sells UK chips (and oh I shall be going there again) because she's awesome!  Also... tingly prawn cocktail?  I wonder how the tingly factors in...

Having tried Walker's Prawn Cocktail, I wasn't surprised to find that these smell much more like prawn cocktail sauce than actual prawns.  The flavor kinda worked with the Walker's, though so perhaps it will again!  They're strangely shaped, too... almost like little bowls or something.  The bag tells me that I should balance a Skip on my tongue and let it melt in my mouth.  Also, they make a big deal about 25% extra, but this doesn't seem like a ton of chips - I'd hate to see the regular bags.  Weirdly... the back of the bag suggests making Prawn Cocktail Flavour Tapioca Snack which just sounds awful.  I'll pass on that, thanks.

But what does it taste like?
Strange!  More salty than prawn-y and it does kinda tingle the tongue in a strange way.  They practically disintegrate the minute you close your mouth.  There's really no point in chewing them since they just sort of melt away like a chip ninja.  I'm so caught up in the strangeness of the chip itself that the flavor sort of gets lost.  They're saltier than the Walker's chips, but there's also the sweetness of the cocktail sauce.  I don't understand why they even bother putting 'prawns' on the bag since you could easily call it cocktail sauce and pin the flavor better.  I'm not sure why, but the flavor is kinda growing on me.  It's not quite cocktail sauce... it's tangier?  I'm not sure, but it's kinda nice.

These disintegrate so easily I almost wouldn't even call them chips - chips have more substance I think.  The Skips are kinda thick, thicker than normal chips, but that doesn't give them much substance.  It's definitely a unique experience eating these.  I hear they're good in sandwiches, but alas I have no sandwich handy.  They also make a bit of a mess - the seasoning doesn't stick very well to the chips so the little salt nibbles go all over when you eat them.  Not ideal.  For me, I prefer my chips to have a little more substance so I don't think I'll be going out of my way to eat these, but I certainly would happily eat them if someone offered them to me.

Rating

1 comment:

  1. Hey dude, coming at you from the UK. Interesting thoughts on a fave childhood snack. You know Quavers by any chance? - Craig & Charlotte

    ReplyDelete